Digital marketing is the marketing or advertising of products or brands using technologies such as websites, search engines, mobile apps, email, etc. Digital marketing has changed the way businesses accelerate its merchandise, and the dependence on the digital channels continues to grow. The processes involved in digital marketing are visibility, targeted traffic, user engagement, lead generation, measurement, and retention. It is a great platform to track the rate on Investment (ROI) and helps the marketers to analyze their campaigns to make better decisions for optimizations.
Traditional advertising vs. Digital advertising:
The conventional marketing is outbound, and the businesses need to reach out to customers as they do not communicate back. It is more of a one-way-conversation in traditional advertising. The publisher audience being more loosely defined, the advertisers find it hard to direct their markets to their targeted audience. It is also challenging to measure the sales of a product. For example, if a customer views an ad on a traditional channel like the television and then buy the product, it would be impossible to track and connect with the customer. The only thing the marketers can do is to measure the sales before the campaign and compare it with the sales after the campaign.
In Digital marketing, the businesses can purchase digital inventories across a wide range of channels and direct their advertisements to their targeted customers.
The different channels in which inventories can be bought are:
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): The SEM involves marketing through paid search results and organic search. The paid searches refer to the pay-per-click ads, and the organic search refers to Search Engine Optimization which focuses on achieving better SE rankings.
- Social Media: Marketing on social media includes paid advertisements on sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. The marketers can build a social profile on these sites and connect with the customers in a better way.
- Display content: The ads are posted alongside web content and it can either be a text message or graphical content. The display ads help marketers to focus on their target audience. The advertisements are posted to anyone who visits a particular site, and these ads serve as brand reinforcement and awareness.
- Mobile apps: The inventories that are bought on mobile apps are to capture the customers who are on their mobile phones and tablets. Through mobile apps, location-based advertising can be done.
- Video: The video advertisements are usually displayed either before or after a video content is played.
One of the main benefits of advertising through digital marketing is being able to examine the ROI. Unlike most marketing efforts, the digital markets allow the businesses to view and analyze their results in real time. The marketers can know how many customers have seen their ads and measure the rate of investment. Thus through digital marketing, a business can manage the customer relationships in different channels and initiate the customer interaction which will help them make better decisions in the future.